hey guys, another busy day but the turkey has now been ordered and paid for and the tree is now completely decorated so thank you Morrison’s and the range. had to put up with my sister pressing all the noisy Christmas toy buttons and making them dance around the floor and sing badly to get to this point. we did go to costa and enjoy a nice festive drink and cake before heading for baking supplies. so I think you can guess what I’ve been doing tonight BAKING !
anyways I decided to use a sugar cookie recipe from zoella who some of you may have heard of.
You will need…
- For The Cookies:
- 140g Icing Sugar
- 1tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 250g Butter (cut into small chunks)
- 375g Flour
- For the Royal Icing:
- 225g Icing Sugar
- 1 Egg White
- Cold Water
- Preheat the oven to 190oC. Using a wooden spoon or a mixer, mix together the butter, icing sugar, vanilla and the egg yolk, setting the egg white aside as you will use it later! Cream together the mixture until it’s all mixed together, then add the flour. Add in the flour a little bit at a time until it is all combined to form a dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill it in the fridge for around 30 mins.
- Spread some flour on the worktop and roll out the dough with a rolling pin. Using Christmassy cookie cutters, cut out shapes and carefully put them on a lined baking tray.
- Put the tray(s) into the oven and bake for about 10-12 minutes until they are lightly golden brown. Carefully slide them off the tray and onto a cooling rack. While you wait for them to cool completely, make the icing.
- Using a mixer, mix together the icing sugar with the egg white, and add a teaspoon at a time of cold water if it feels too thick. Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a thin nozzle, and pipe onto the completely cooled cookies. You can then decorate with sprinkles or whatever you fancy.
All credit for this recipe goes to zoe sugg aka zoella
Link below to her site