Hey guys, not long now. Today has been a busy day and I have been on the go from the moment I got up, spending hours catching up on housework before a marathon baking session. I made up gingerbread dough and three pastry doughs. and I’ve not even finished all my baking and might do some more tomorrow. I managed to find the pastry and gingerbread recipes I have used previously which my brother preferred I used.
- 350g plain flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g butter
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4tbsp golden syrup ( I used 5)
- preheat oven to gas mark 5 / 190 degrees c
- put the flour, ginger and soda into a bowl and rub in the butter.
- add sugar and stir in syrup and egg to make a firm dough.
- I then chill the dough for 30 minutes but you don’t have to.
- roll out the dough and cut into what ever shape you wish.
- put on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, leaving space for them to expand slightly and bake for 10 minutes.
- leave to firm up for a couple of minutes before placing on a cooling rack.
- once cooled decorate as your imagination tell you to.
- 250g plain flour
- 150g cold butter
- 2 tsp icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk (medium sized egg)
- mincemeat/jam/lemon curd
I made double the quantity and then made a second batch, leaving me with two large batches of pastry dough 🙂
- put the flour in a bowl, add the butter and rub together until it resembles breadcrumbs
- stir in the icing sugar
- add the egg yolk and 2 eggshells full/ 4tbsp of very cold water
- stir in with a knife and bring dough together with your hands
- knead lightly, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes
- preheat oven to 200 degrees c/ gas mark 6
- grease a tart tin
- roll out the pastry and cut out as many discs as you need
- for mince pies add a teaspoon of mincemeat and place a lid of pastry on top and glaze each with egg or milk
- jam tarts or lemon tarts add a teaspoon of filling.
- bake for 20 minutes
- leave to cool on a cooling rack.
in total today I have made 40 normal sized gingerbread men, 40 mini gingerbread men ( some have been placed in a clear cellophane gift bags ready to be given as presents) 24 coconut tarts ( recipe from previous post only doubled the mix ) 12 jam tarts, 12 lemon tarts, 12 mince pies and a few sugar cookies. I think you can see why I called it a marathon baking session.